Have you ever wondered how countless bloggers are able to catapult their blog traffic, but still have a life?
I’ll tell you how.
They learned how to automate certain aspects of their businesses so they could reap the benefits that come with working from home, without having to actually work 80-hours a week.
That’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Having the freedom to make your own hours without having to slave away every second of every day?
For me, the secret weapon I hold close to my heart is Pinterest.
And I’m not alone in this.
Pinterest is the second largest referral traffic source of all websites on the web, in the world.
Without Pinterest, I know I wouldn’t have grown my traffic or income nearly as quickly as I did.
The main components of my Pinterest strategy have always been Board Booster and group boards.
I’m still maintaining Pinterest at my #1 largest source of traffic, seeing anywhere from 75,00-90,000 pin impressions each month! This is still utterly mind-blowing for me!
In this Board Booster tutorial, you’ll learn how to set up Board Booster the right way, plus my hack for setting up Board Booster ONCE, so you can ‘set it and forget it’.
But first, if you haven’t set up your Pinterest business account, enabled rich pins, optimized and made a killer profile, and taken care of all of the other basics, head on over to this post before you continue with this Board Booster tutorial!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I only promote products/services that I use myself and fully trust. Your support helps to run this blog, so thank you! For more info about my disclaimer click here.
What’s board booster and how does it work?
Board Booster is a scheduling tool that will post to Pinterest for you automatically. It costs $5/per month for 500 pins, $10/per month for 1000 pins, and so on. But, to start out, 500 pins is more than sufficient.
Plus, through my link, you get your first 100 pins free when you sign up!
When you first log in, it may seem intimidating – I know that’s how I felt.
However, I promise it’s easy-peasy once you know what you’re doing (and you will after following this Board Booster tutorial), and have done the initial set up.
I’m going to show you step-by-step all you need to do to get started, from start to finish. With screenshots for every step for my fellow visual learners out there. 🙂
And for the more advanced features that you don’t really need right away (heck, I didn’t use them for 6 + months and STILL had huge success with Board Booster) I will still explain them in case you want to use them now or down the road.
But, to get started and start seeing a MASSIVE difference in your traffic, just simply follow this simple Board Booster tutorial and get results quickly.
I received my largest spike in traffic to date, 24 hours after signing up for Board Booster and following these steps only.
Before we dive in, you’re going to need to be a contributor to several group boards in your niche to be able to set up your group boards in Board Booster.
Luckily, I have 300+ quality group boards for you to join right here.
PRO TIP: Every board will have different rules and some will have different ways to join. It’s essential to read the group description for each and every board.
To Join Group Boards, Generally, You’ll Have to Apply One of These Ways:
- Send an email to the board creator with your Pinterest profile URL and your email that’s associated with Pinterest. (AFTER you’ve followed both the board and the board creator).
- Join their email list or Facebook group to be added to their group board.
- Fill out a form on their website to apply to join the group board.
Although ways to apply and join group boards can vary, you’re going to find that almost all of them only ask for you to email them.
setting up board booster
I’m going to show you how to set up Board Booster the easiest way, but also the BEST way to eliminate your overwhelm and get your traffic pouring in, in no time at all.
You may have heard of the famous ”looping feature”. That looping feature loops your pins on your OWN boards, not on group boards like many think. So, well it may be beneficial to some, especially down the road, it’s not going to give you that instant explosion of traffic you’ve been longing for.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking this feature – down the road you may want to explore this looping feature for your own boards.
But, since getting your content in front of more eyes will happen quicker on group boards, we’re going to concentrate on setting it up so your content is looped to your group boards.
In this Board Booster tutorial, I’m going to show you how to set it up the right way, that will give you that boost in traffic, almost immediately. Without using that ”looping feature”.at all.
Let’s get started!
1) First, after you’ve purchased and signed up for Board Booster, to get started, click on ”Pinning Tools”, and then click on ”Scheduler” (The highlighted button).
2) Next, you’ll come to a page like this, except since your account is new you won’t see any group boards yet like what you can see below on mine.
Click on ”ADD BOARDS”.
Side Note: This is also where you can hover over each group board (once you add some) and see some interesting and helpful insights. Like the re-pins rate for that board, how many followers are on that board, and a few more neat stats.
3) Once you’ve clicked ”ADD BOARDS”, the screenshot below is the screen that will pop up.
This will show you all of your own boards plus all of your group boards that you’re a part of. You will know which ones are group boards because they’ll have that little icon of three people (highlighted).
Select which board you want to add first.
As an example, I marked off ”#BossMoms. Then hit ”CONTINUE”. You can also select several boards or all of the boards you want to add, and do it all at once. But I’ve always done it one by one so I can configure the advanced features easily (that we’re getting too).
4) Once you’ve selected the group board you wish to add and hit continue, this is the screen you will see (below).
This is where you’ll set how many pins will be posted to that particular group board each day and at what time that will occur.
As you can see below, I have an arrow pointing to Time Settings. You can keep it on ”BASIC’‘ which will only allow you to choose a number of pins to be published for every day of the week. , or you can select ”ADVANCED”. With Advanced, you can decide how many pins go out during the week and how many on Saturday and Sunday.
You can also decide what time you’d like the pins to be published. So say for example you set it to 10:00 AM until 8:00 PM.
Once you’ve set it up to publish how and when you like, you can now click ”SUBMIT”.
PRO TIP: Research shows that Saturday is the best day to pin. 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM are the best times to pin on Saturday’s. So you may want to schedule more pins on Saturday than any other day! (I do).
5) Now Board Booster has created a ”secret board” for the group board you just added.
A secret board is a board that Board Booster will pull from to post to the group board you just set up. (you can find all of your secret boards when you scroll to the bottom of the screen on your Pinterest profile).
We’ll talk about how you’ll add your content on to you secret group boards in a minute. So wait for that!
PRO TIP: Create multiple pins for all of your posts when you’re just started out, and then after you have loads of content, do this for your most popular content. This way you can fill up your secret boards so you’re not spamming the group boards with the same pins every day.
6) You’ll want to find this screen (you go to ”Pinning Tools”, and then ”Scheduler” if you’re not already on this screen)
Click on the picture of the group board you just added.
7) After you’ve clicked on the picture of the group board you just added you’ll get this screen (below).
Now comes the most critical steps so you can ‘set it and forget it’ for good.
Forget TailWind’s ”1-3 hours a week to schedule your pins every week”, you won’t have to do ANYTHING each week after you’ve followed this Board Booster tutorial.
Click on the ”wheel” icon that is circled and pointed to in the screenshot below.
This is where we’ll get into the advanced settings (which is only a few clicks, don’t worry) that will allow you to loop your pins on your secret boards so that you never have to bother with them again.
Sounds like a dream, right? Well, we’re almost at the finish line.
8) Assuming you’ve already chosen your times and days to pin (if not go back up to #4 of this post and do that first), click on ”ADVANCED SETTINGS”.
9) Now you’re in the Advanced Settings. This is a crucial step that I’ve noticed many bloggers don’t utilize!
This step will LOOP your pins to your group boards!! That means you never have to waste hours selecting and scheduling your pins for the week again. Ever!
Once every group board is set up this way, you don’t ever need to bother with it again.
Follow These Steps (screenshot below as well)
- On ”PIN SELECTION METHOD” change it from ” Oldest to Newest” to ”NEWEST TO OLDEST”. (This will pull the most recent pin that you’ve added to your secret board, so when you add a new blog post to all your secret boards, that new post gets published next).
- On ”WHEN A PIN IS PUBLISHED” select/click ”Keep On Source Board’. This will keep your pins on your secret boards forever (unless you decide to delete them) so you don’t have to ever add the pins to your secret boards again.
- On ”WHEN ALL PINS ARE PUBLISHED” click ‘START OVER”. You just ensured that your pins from your secret boards will loop!
- Genius, huh? Now, go ahead and hit ”SAVE”.
rinse and repeat
You’ll need to go through and do the same thing for each group board you’re in. (Well, the best group boards since you’re paying for each pin, you shouldn’t join just any group board.)
Go for quality.
And remember, larger followings on a group board don’t necessarily mean they’re better boards. In fact, many of the group boards with a crazy amount of followers have super low re-pin rates!
Grab my PDF of 300+ Quality Pinterest Group Boards (separated into niches), plus a bonus of 25 Facebook groups for female bloggers and mompreneurs.
Every group board has different rules, so ensure you read the group board description so that when you set up how many pins will go out every day, you’re not breaking the rules.
It may take you an hour or two to get all of your group boards set up initially, but once you do this you don’t ever have to schedule your pins or even log into Board Boster again (unless you want to add a new group board or check out other features).
You just saved yourself hours of scheduling pins every week (if you went with a tool like TailWind).
I tried TailWind, and although it was a great tool – I’m a mom; I just don’t have the time to find and schedule hundreds of pins for each week, every single week. Plus Board Booster is more affordable!
Which is why Board Booster was a no-brainer for me!
fill up your secret boards
10) Now that you’ve set up the Board Booster schedule the RIGHT way so you can ‘set it and forget it’, you need to go over to your Pinterest account and add your pins to all of your new secret boards.
The easiest way I have found to fill your secret boards is to go to your board that’s filled with only your content and pin to your secret boards one by one.
Keep in mind, every time you publish a new blog post, you will need to pin that pin to all of your secret boards (as well as all relevant boards of your own).
But this is the ONLY thing you’ll need to do on a regular basis as far as Board Booster is concerned.
The ”famous looping feature” only loops pins to your OWN boards. This can be quite handy and also save you major time. BUT, it’s not as valuable as using the scheduler if you set it up with the advanced features – like we just did in this tutorial.
What Does the Looping Feature Do?
With the looping feature found under ”pinning tools”, Board Booster will re-pin your oldest pins to your own boards. You probably haven’t posted to all of your relevant boards in quite some time. So this gives your new followers a chance to see all of your older content.
Next, it’ll actually look at your duplicate pins and delete the one with the lower re-pins.
You don’t want to utilize this feature unless you have around 100 pins in each of your own boards. Otherwise, you’re going to be posting the same content too frequently.
How Does it Work?
- Go to ”PINNING TOOLS’‘ in your dashboard and then click ”LOOPING”.
- Click ”ADD BOARDS” (just like we did in scheduler) to add any boards that you’d like to loop pins too.
(Reminder: This will only loop your pins on your OWN boards, the Board Booster tutorial above shows you how to set up Scheduler feature to loop your pins in a continuous cycle )
- Next, you can configure all of your settings to suit your needs!
PRO TIP: When configuring the settings, set it to post only 1-3 times a day if you only have 100-150 pins on that board. Once you have 200-300 pins on your boards you can start pinning 4-6 times.
There’s no doubt that Pinterest is an exceptional tool that can bring in ridiculous amounts of traffic if you utilize it right.
A scheduling tool like Board Booster is essential unless you’re able to sit on Pinterest and pin strategically every hour of every day.
That’s what I thought.
Nobody has time for that!
Especially if you’re a momma like me!
Are you using Pinterest for your business your blog? I would love to know! Let me know down in the comments!
Until next time,
- 7 Tips to Skyrocket Your Blog’s Traffic Using Pinterest (Beginner’s Guide)
- Ultimate Pinterest Tips to Explode Your Traffic
- Beginner’s Guide: 12 Surefire Ways to Grow Your Blogs Traffic
- 9 Surprising Reasons You’re Not Getting Any Blog Traffic
- Beginner’s Guide to Starting a Profitable Blog (A step-by-step tutorial)
- 6 Crucial Steps Before Launching a New Blog (The Right Way)